Where can I find my EIN verification letter?

If you have lost your EIN Verification Letter from the Department of Treasury, you can request a new one.

To do so, call the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line toll free at 1-800-829-4933 between the hours of 7am and 7pm in your local time zone.

Request a 147c letter when you speak with an agent on the phone. Requesting a letter is free. They will either mail it to you or fax it to you.

You will be asked some security questions about your business to verify your identity. Potential questions include: your EIN number, the name and address of your business, the type of business income tax form you file and your name and position in the company.

Have more questions? Submit a request


  • Avatar
    Stacey Armstrong

    Were can i find my ein

  • Avatar
    Pat Sullivan

    wow, what a great find!!!

  • Avatar
    Hans Albers

    Thank you! In the middle of a refi, and this saved the day!

  • Avatar
    S Bala

    Your article helped to get the verification letter from IRS with an hour after I called the number you provided. Thank you and I appreciated it very much.

  • Avatar
    Eddy Pham

    this was so helpful. I had lost my copy and the IRS was so helpful

  • Avatar
    Joseph Williamss

    This is totally unhelpful when the IRS does not answer the phone. This should be attainable online.. There needs to be provisions online since you guys always act like you are too busy to answer the phone.

  • Avatar
    Ben Young

    This experience was terrible. After waiting only 18 minutes, which was not bad, I made a request for a 147c letter, and was then informed that the IRS no longer faxes these letters, but that I should have it in 10 - 14 days. Really need it sooner than that.